The Wayzata Depot in 1907. Image courtesy Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
A century-old railroad landmark welcomed visitors Sunday with cake, memories and a look back at the building that helped shape Wayzata
WAYZATA, Minn. — There was a birthday celebration at the Wayzata Depot on Sunday, but the guest of honor was 120 years old.
The Wayzata Depot Museum, located at 402 Lake Street East along the shores of Lake Minnetonka, welcomed visitors Sunday afternoon as the Lake Minnetonka Historical Society marked the 120th anniversary of the historic Great Northern Railway depot.
The celebration was well attended, with visitors stopping in to tour the depot, learn more about Wayzata’s railroad history and enjoy a special sheet cake prepared for the occasion.
Sue Sorrentino, Sarah Dibble, and Liz Vandam pause for a moment for a photo during the celebration.
Three volunteers from the Lake Minnetonka Historical Society were on hand to welcome visitors and share stories about the building and the history preserved inside it: Secretary Sarah Dibble, Co-President Liz Vandam and Co-President Sue Sorrentino.
“Happy Birthday to us! The depot is looking as good as it ever has,” Liz Vandam stated.
The Tudor Revival-style depot was built in 1906 for the Great Northern Railway and was designed by St. Paul architect Samuel L. Bartlett. A historic architectural survey of Wayzata describes the building as an important example of the Tudor Revival style and notes that it was designed to reflect both the prestige of the Great Northern Railroad and Wayzata’s economic and social character.
Original Wayzata Depot plans by Samuel L. Bartlett, 1905. Image Courtesy Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
When the depot opened, it was considered an exceptionally modern railroad station for its time, featuring amenities including steam heat, electric lights and indoor bathrooms. Wayzata’s 2004 community history records that railroad magnate James J. Hill described the new station as “the handsomest and best built structure of its kind in the entire Great Northern system.”
A building tied to Wayzata’s transformation
The depot represents more than the history of one building. The railroad played a central role in transforming Wayzata from a lakeside settlement into a destination connected to the Twin Cities and beyond.
The first passenger train reached Wayzata in August 1867, when the Saint Paul & Pacific Railroad connected the community with Minneapolis. Passengers arriving by train could transfer to steamboats serving Lake Minnetonka, while farmers could use the railroad to move agricultural products to larger markets.
The relationship between Wayzata and the railroad continued to evolve over the following decades. In 1906, construction of the present depot marked another chapter in that relationship.
For generations, trains stopped at the station, bringing visitors to Lake Minnetonka and connecting residents with communities throughout the region.
Scheduled passenger service continued until 1958, when the depot became a “flag stop,” meaning trains stopped only when requested. Great Northern ultimately ended the depot’s official service in 1971 and donated the building to the City of Wayzata the following year.
Rather than disappear, the depot entered a new chapter as a place where Wayzata’s railroad and community history could be preserved.
The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981. Today, it houses the Lake Minnetonka Historical Society Museum and the Wayzata West Metro Chamber of Commerce.
History that remains on display
Inside the depot, visitors can see artifacts connected to the era when the building was an active railroad station. Among them are original benches, a telegraph, telephone and safe, along with other objects donated over the years.
The depot’s exhibits help illustrate how railroads operated before modern communications. One display explains how railroad employees could use a yellow signal to indicate that a train needed to slow down so a waiting message could be picked up by the crew.
Outside, the Depot Garden and its model railroad provide another connection between Wayzata’s present and its railroad past. The outdoor garden railroad recreates elements of the community’s history in miniature and has become a popular attraction for families visiting the depot.
For a community that was profoundly shaped by its connection to the railroad, the depot remains an unusually tangible link to that past.
Wayzata’s historic architectural survey calls the depot historically and architecturally significant and recommends its designation as a local Heritage Preservation Site. The survey also notes that, in its restored condition, the building continues to impress both visitors and residents.
On Sunday, however, the focus was less on architectural significance and more on simply celebrating an old building that continues to have a place in the life of the community.
A 120-year-old depot may no longer serve the passengers who once arrived by train, but it continues to welcome visitors through its doors.
And, at least for one afternoon, there was cake to prove it.
M.G. Gullixson. Image courtesy Lake Minnetonka Historical Society / Wayako.
M.G. Gullixson probably would not have described himself as a man behind the town. That would have been too much.
But there he was.
At the Minnetonka Herald office on Lake Street. At the Masons smorgasbord. Around the schools. Around the athletic fields. Around young people who needed a job, a little encouragement, or a push toward college.
Gullixson’s community life extended well beyond the Herald office. He was a member of the Wayzata Masonic Lodge and the Shrine, the Wayzata Lions Club, the Wayzata Chamber of Commerce, and the Minnesota Editorial Association.
He was woven into the life of Wayzata itself.
Image courtesy of the Wayzata Masons / Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
Before Wayzata had websites, email newsletters, city updates, Facebook groups, polished branding, or the constant hum of social media, it had the Minnetonka Herald. And for much of the Herald’s defining era, M.G. Gullixson helped give that paper life.
The Herald was where the town saw itself. City business, school news, local sports, church suppers, military service, weddings, births, dinner parties, business openings, and the names of people who mattered because they lived here — all of it found its way into print.
That kind of newspaper did more than report the news.
It held the town together.
The Town Learned About Itself There
Gullixson came from the old local newspaper tradition, when a publisher’s work reached well beyond the printed page.
Image courtesy of Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
The Minnetonka Herald carried the daily life of Wayzata in a way that is hard to fully appreciate now. Schools, churches, clubs, merchants, athletes, lake families, public officials, veterans, and neighbors all found their way into its columns.
The town learned about itself there.
Births, weddings, deaths, games, business openings, church suppers, council debates, school news, service members, local characters, and small victories were all preserved in print. Week by week, the Herald gave shape to community life.
Editorial courtesy of the Wayzata Sun / Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
Gullixson seemed to understand the value of that work. A local paper could inform people, but it could also encourage them, challenge them, recognize them, and remind them that their lives were part of something larger.
For three decades, that was the Herald’s place in Wayzata.
And Gullixson helped make it so.
From the Classroom to The Foursome to the Herald
Gullixson came to Wayzata in 1929 after teaching in Maple Lake and New York Mills and earning a degree from the University of Minnesota.
Courtesy of the Minnetonka Herald / Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
In Wayzata, he taught mathematics at the high school and later served as principal. He became part of a group of four schoolmen that included Michael Vukas, Joseph O’Connell, and Einar Ryden. They taught together, played golf together, and eventually went into business together.
In 1935, the group opened The Foursome, a men’s clothing store, after noticing that Wayzata had no proper place to buy a tie.
A year later, Gullixson, Vukas, and O’Connell bought the Minnetonka Herald from Palmer Holman. They also purchased a subscription list from Abe Brazman, publisher of the Minnetonka Pilot.
Their first issues came out of a room behind the Wayzata Theater. The paper started small, with the new owners barely clearing the subscription requirement needed to get going.
Wayzata Theater. Image courtesy Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
From there, Gullixson’s life in Wayzata widened. The teacher became a publisher. The classroom gave way to the newsroom. And the town he had joined in 1929 became the town he would help chronicle for the next three decades.
Week by Week, the Town in Print
The Herald carried the everyday life of Wayzata and the North Shore.
City hall was there. So were the schools, the teams, the churches, the clubs, the merchants, and the families whose names filled the social columns week after week.
Image courtesy Minnetonka Herald / Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
The paper recorded births, weddings, deaths, military service, college students home for the holidays, dinner parties, church suppers, school programs, business openings, lake-area visitors, vacation notes, and neighborhood news from communities beyond Wayzata.
It is easy to smile at some of that now. A dinner party. A student home from college. A family returning from a trip. A church group serving lunch.
But that was the town.
The Herald treated ordinary community life as worthy of record. It gave attention to the things people actually talked about in grocery stores, school hallways, church basements, barbershops, and along Lake Street.
Over time, those small notices became something larger. They became the shared memory of the North Shore.
For Wayzata, the Herald was a kind of common table. Everyone did not sit at it every week, but everyone knew it was there. And when the town had something to say, celebrate, mourn, argue over, or remember, the Herald was often where it landed.
A Clear View of What Wayzata Ought to Be
Gullixson had a clear view of what Wayzata ought to be.
His editorials could be conservative, precise, civic-minded, and blunt. He cared about the appearance of the town, the conduct of local government, the strength of the schools, the health of the business district, and the way Wayzata presented itself along Lake Street.
He took positions.
Image courtesy MN Sun / Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
He opposed the city getting into the liquor business, believing private licenses could help support stronger lakefront dining and a better commercial district. He criticized the “pumpkin tooth” look of Lake Street, where buildings were broken up by parking lots. He wanted storefronts facing the street and parking moved away from the front door.
Those were practical arguments, but they also showed a deeper instinct. Gullixson understood that the form of a town matters. Buildings, sidewalks, parking, restaurants, shops, schools, churches, and clubs all helped shape how people experienced Wayzata.
His paper also reflected an old-school belief in work, discipline, character, and service. He championed high school sports. He followed local students. He gave attention to service members and veterans. He supported young people with praise, jobs, responsibility, and help toward college.
Taken together, his positions formed a kind of civic worldview. Wayzata should look good. It should govern itself sensibly. It should support local enterprise. It should honor its schools, churches, volunteers, athletes, and service members. And it should remember the people who made the town work.
Long before “placemaking” became a planning term, Gullixson was already writing about the relationship between a town, its lake, its businesses, and its public life.
The Teacher Who Never Stopped Teaching
Gullixson’s roots in Wayzata began in the schools.
He taught mathematics at Wayzata High School and later served as principal. He also coached wrestling, and the habits of a schoolman stayed with him long after he moved into the newspaper business.
That showed up in the Herald.
The 1959 Wayzata Boys Basketball Team. Image courtesy The Minnetonka Herald / Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
High school sports mattered to Gullixson. Games, teams, athletes, coaches, and school activities were part of the public life of the town, and he gave them space. In a smaller Wayzata, a student’s name in the paper meant something. A photo, a box score, a short item about a school program or athletic achievement — those were not minor things to the families who clipped them out and saved them.
His support for young people went beyond coverage.
Long before formal teen job programs became common, Gullixson gave students work in the Herald backshop after school and on Sundays. It was practical help. They learned responsibility, earned money, and in many cases used those jobs to help pay their way toward college.
That may be one of the clearest windows into who Gullixson was. He believed in young people enough to put them to work. He gave them a place in the paper, a place in the town, and sometimes a path to something larger.
The same impulse carried on after his death through scholarships, youth projects, and the local places that continued to bear his name. The teacher had become a publisher, but he never really stopped being a teacher.
The Publisher Who Kept Giving
Gullixson’s influence did not end with the newspaper.
The Wayzata Masons remembered him in a homespun way, with a memorial smorgasbord at Wayzata Junior High. It was fitting. Gullixson had organized the first Masons smorgasbord years earlier and helped turn it into a community event.
That seems to have been his way.
He did much for Wayzata without making much noise about it. Those who remembered him described a man who cared deeply about the town and the people in it. He was quiet, precise, conservative in his convictions, and deeply involved in the ordinary work of community life.
His help for young people may have been the clearest example. Gullixson gave students jobs in the Herald backshop after school and on Sundays, helping them earn money for college. Over the years, that practical help reached dozens of students from Wayzata and Orono.
Courtesy the Minnetonka Herald / Wayzata Motor Co. / Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
He also made sure that work would continue after his death. His will established an annual scholarship fund as part of the M.G. Gullixson Trust. The trust later supported local projects, including a major gift to Wayzata ice hockey.
M.G. Gullixson donated $40,000 to the #284 Wayzata Youth Hockey Association to build the ice arena at what is now known as Central Middle School. Advertisement courtesy Vintage Minnesota Hockey.
His name remained visible in town as well. The baseball field near the school administration building also carries the M.G. Gullixson name.
M.G. Gullixson Baseball Field at Gleason Lake Elementary. Image Dan Gustafson.
For a man who spent so much of his life putting other people’s names in print, there is something fitting about that. His own name stayed attached to the places where young people gathered, played, learned, and began making their way.
From Back Room to Lake Street Institution
The Herald grew with the town.
When Gullixson, Vukas and O’Connell took over, the paper was operating from a single room behind the Wayzata Theater. That room served as both office and shop. The subscription list barely met the legal minimum needed to publish.
Three years later, the partners needed more space. In 1939, they built a new Herald building on Lake Street, across from what later became Olson’s Bakery. By 1951, business had grown enough that an addition more than doubled the size of the building.
Image courtesy The Minnetonka Herald / Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
The paper was no longer just a small weekly trying to survive the Depression. It had become part of the machinery of the lake area. The Herald made money from the newspaper and from publication printing. It added space for offices, shop work, paper stock, and even a street-side area for school and office supplies.
The reach widened, too. The Deephaven Argus had been started in 1939 to serve Deephaven, Groveland, Tonkawood, Croft and Cottagewood. In 1950, the Minnetonka Pilot was purchased from Abe Brazman, bringing the number of papers to three. A few years later, a new building was constructed in Mound to serve the expanding Pilot.
By 1965, the three papers had a combined circulation of about 10,000.
That year, Herald Publications — the Minnetonka Herald, the Minnetonka Pilot and the Deephaven Argus — was sold to Northland Communications, Inc., headed by Carroll E. Crawford. Gullixson remained with the Herald in an advisory role as editor emeritus. Vukas also continued his community work, taking a position with Wayzata State Bank.
The Herald had started as a teacher-led, owner-operated newspaper rooted in downtown Wayzata. After the sale, it became part of a larger newspaper operation that would eventually move toward the Sun name. The local paper that Gullixson helped build had grown strong enough to be absorbed into something bigger.
What the Herald Remembered
Some of that world is gone now.
The old Herald era was personal. It was intensely local. It was rooted in downtown Wayzata, in a building on Lake Street, with people walking in and out, bringing news, buying ads, asking questions, dropping off notices, or checking to see what made the paper that week.
The staff knew the town because they lived in it. They knew the families, the coaches, the merchants, the church ladies, the students, the council members, the veterans, the characters, and the people who quietly did the work.
That kind of newspaper is hard to recreate.
But the values behind it still matter.
Names matter. Accuracy matters. Showing up matters. Remembering matters. Small items matter. A student’s achievement, a local business opening, a church dinner, a council vote, a team photo, a neighbor’s service, a familiar face lost — those are the things that become a town’s memory.
Gullixson’s Herald understood that.
It treated Wayzata as a place worthy of careful attention. That may be the lesson that remains. A community does not remember itself automatically. Someone has to keep the record.
Wayzata Did
Walk down Lake Street today and the old newspaper world is not easy to see.
The presses are gone. The backshop is gone. The boys who came in after school to work for college money are grown old now, if they are still with us. The town has changed, as towns do.
But the places still carry echoes.
Image courtesy the Minnetonka Herald / Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
There was the Herald office on Lake Street, where Wayzata passed through in notices, advertisements, arguments, photographs, and names. There was the Masons smorgasbord, where Gullixson’s quiet community work was remembered over a meal. There was the ballfield near the school administration building that carried his name, a fitting marker for a man who believed young people deserved attention, discipline, opportunity, and encouragement.
Gullixson spent much of his life helping Wayzata see itself in print.
Image courtesy Minnetonka Herald / Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
He recorded the town, prodded it, praised it, corrected it, and gave ordinary lives a place in the public record. He was a teacher, merchant, publisher, Mason, benefactor, and, in his own plain way, a builder of community.
Not every town gets someone like that.
Wayzata did.
Editor’s note: Many thanks to the Minnetonka Herald and the Lake Minnetonka Historical Society for the information on M.G. Gullixson.
The Lake Minnetonka Historical Society hosted an evening program titled “Old Orchard and the John Wilcox Family” on Thursday, October 16 at 7:00 p.m. in the Wayzata Community Room at Wayzata City Hall, 600 Rice Street East. Admission was free, with attendees registering in advance.
The presentation explored the remarkable life and legacy of entrepreneur John F. Wilcox, whose ventures included the Wilcox Motor Car Company, Wilcox Trux, and the early Wilcox fire engine still owned by the City of Wayzata. Descendant KC Stabeck led the discussion, tracing the evolution of the Wilcox family’s Old Orchard estate in Tonka Bay’s Wildhurst neighborhood—from its early days as a 1920s–30s summer resort, to its return to the family, and eventual redevelopment.
Wilcox fire truck.
In addition to the Wilcox story, the program touched on the broader history of Tonka Bay, including the State Fruit Farm, Wildhurst, Birch Bluff, and Lockes Point—landmarks that helped define the south shore of Lake Minnetonka during the region’s early years of resort and agricultural development.
The presentation will explore the remarkable life and legacy of entrepreneur John F. Wilcox, whose ventures included the Wilcox Motor Car Company, Wilcox Trux, and the early Wilcox fire engine still owned by the City of Wayzata. Descendant KC Stabeck will lead the discussion, tracing the evolution of the Wilcox family’s Old Orchard estate in Tonka Bay’s Wildhurst neighborhood—from its early days as a 1920s–30s summer resort, to its return to the family, and eventual redevelopment.
In addition to the Wilcox story, the program will touch on the broader history of Tonka Bay, including the State Fruit Farm, Wildhurst, Birch Bluff, and Lockes Point—landmarks that helped define the south shore of Lake Minnetonka during the region’s early years of resort and agricultural development.
The Lake Minnetonka Historical Society (LMHS) was formed in October 2023 through the merger of the Excelsior-Lake Minnetonka Historical Society, the Museum of Lake Minnetonka, the Wayzata Historical Society, and the Westonka Historical Society. Together, they have created one of the largest collections of Lake Minnetonka history—spanning archives, artifacts, and restored vessels such as the 1906 streetcar steamboat Minnehaha, which the Society is working to return to active operation.
The organization now maintains research archives in Wayzata and operates museums in Excelsior, Mound, and Wayzata. Through lectures, exhibits, publications, and lakewide initiatives, LMHS continues to preserve and share the intertwined histories of the communities surrounding Lake Minnetonka.
The nearly century-old artwork was originally gifted to the Wayzata schools by the graduating classes of 1927 and 1928. Crafted from three prints by different artists and assembled by the Beard Art Gallery of Minneapolis, the mural portrays early Minnesota landscapes and Indigenous life. It hung for decades in Widsten School before being salvaged in 1989 by Wayzata preservationist Deanne Straka following the school’s demolition.
The mural has been on display in City Hall since 2012, but until now, no formal agreement governed its exhibition. “This is just memorializing something that has already been such a valued part of this room,” said City Manager Jeff Dahl. “It’s part of a broader effort by the Historical Society to document and steward its collection.”
Sue Sorrentino, a longtime member of the former Wayzata Historical Society and now a representative of LMHS, explained the significance of formalizing the arrangement. “This mural has been on loan for more than 12 years,” Sorrentino said. “Now that we’ve merged with Excelsior and Westonka to form the Lake Minnetonka Historical Society, we’re working to update and clarify where our artifacts are and how they’re displayed.”
Council members expressed enthusiasm for preserving the mural’s presence. “This may be one of the very first gems in our new era of public art in Wayzata,” said Councilmember Molly MacDonald, referencing the city’s pending creation of a public art committee. The City has valued the mural at $5,000 for insurance purposes.
When asked whether the artwork might ever be reclaimed, Sorrentino reassured the council. “We’re thrilled to have it here,” she said. “The library had rules that made it hard to keep it up. This space is perfect, and we’re grateful.”
LMHS also teased future possibilities, including a vintage 1957 Tonka Craft boat currently housed at a maritime museum in Alexandria that they hope to bring to Wayzata for James J. Hill Days.
The loan agreement affirms a spirit of shared cultural stewardship between the City and LMHS. As Wayzata continues to embrace its civic identity and lakeside legacy, America the Beautiful remains a fitting and enduring tribute in the heart of City Hall.
Postcard image of St. Louis Bay, c. 1905, showing the Deephaven Depot, Minnetonka Yacht Club, and Hotel St. Louis.
DEEPHAVEN — The Lake Minnetonka Historical Society is inviting the community to celebrate Deephaven’s 125th anniversary with a summer evening cruise rich in stories, scenery, and local legacy.
On Monday, July 14, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., guests will board the Lady of the Lake in Excelsior for a two-hour narrated journey through St. Louis Bay. The cruise marks a major milestone for Deephaven, founded in 1899, and offers a fresh way to connect with the city’s past—while enjoying cool breezes and beautiful lake views.
Local historians Joanie Holst and Jeff Magnuson will anchor the evening’s storytelling, highlighting the evolution of Deephaven from its early days to its present-day identity. Topics will include the founding of the Minnetonka Yacht Club—one of the oldest inland yacht clubs in the U.S.—and the enduring charm of the Cottagewood neighborhood, once a summer colony for Minneapolis families.
Also aboard will be underwater explorer Kelly Nehowig and filmmaker Bob Nye, who will offer a preview of their documentary work exploring what lies beneath St. Louis Bay. From sunken artifacts to the remains of the Hotel St. Louis and the Deephaven Depot, the duo will share new discoveries that connect past to present in powerful ways.
The Lady of the Lake cruise departs from the charter dock behind Tommy’s Tonka Trolley (8 Water Street / 379 Lake Street) in downtown Excelsior. Boarding begins at 5:45 p.m., with departure at 6:00 sharp. The cruise will proceed rain or shine—if weather conditions prevent sailing, presentations will be held dockside until it is safe to embark.
Tickets are $22.50 for LMHS members and $37.50 for the general public, plus ticket fees. Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages will be available for purchase on board. Seating is limited, and tickets are expected to sell out quickly.
To learn more or reserve your place, visit the Lake Minnetonka Historical Society’s website at www.lakeminnetonkahistory.org.
Passengers stroll on Big Island in a color postcard from 1906–1911. The steamers “Puritan” and “Minnetonka” are visible at dock. LMHS Collection.
EXCELSIOR — The Lake Minnetonka Historical Society will offer a special history cruise event and walking tour of Big Island on Sunday, June 22, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., combining lake breezes, local lore, and guided exploration.
Participants will board the steamboat-style “Lady of the Lake” at the Port of Excelsior for a narrated cruise across Lake Minnetonka, followed by a walking tour of Orono’s Big Island Nature Park. Local historians will lead guests through the island’s storied past, including its significance to the Dakota people, its days as a summer resort destination, and its evolving uses as a game farm and veterans camp.
The event, organized by the recently consolidated Lake Minnetonka Historical Society (LMHS), highlights the organization’s expanded reach. Formed in October 2023 through the merger of the Excelsior-Lake Minnetonka Historical Society, the Museum of Lake Minnetonka, the Wayzata Historical Society, and the Westonka Historical Society, LMHS now manages one of the region’s largest collections of archival materials and artifacts. The society maintains a research archive in Wayzata and museums in Wayzata, Mound, and Excelsior.
Tickets for the June 22 tour are $60 for LMHS members and $75 for nonmembers, available at biwalkingtour.eventbrite.com. Box lunches are included, and beverages will be available for purchase on board.
In addition to public programs like the Big Island tour, LMHS publishes local history books and continues efforts to restore the historic streetcar steamboat Minnehaha to active service.
The newly built office building at Lake Street and Barry Avenue, completed in 2019 with a façade that echoes the original 1908 Wayzata State Bank. Image copyright Daniel Gustafson. All rights reserved.
For nearly a century, Wayzata State Bank stood as Wayzata’s financial institution. It was a civic anchor—quietly reliable, locally owned, and woven into the fabric of downtown life. From a humble corner at Barry Avenue to a mid-century modern structure on Wayzata Boulevard, the bank’s evolution reflected the growth of the lakeside town it served. Today, while the name is gone, the institution’s legacy lives on—both in memory and in columns.
Wayzata State Bank – Image courtesy Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
Beginnings: 1908 and a $10,000 Charter
Wayzata State Bank was incorporated on October 22, 1908 by five early civic leaders:
Leo M. Crafts – Minneapolis – 77 shares
Milton O. Nelson – Minneapolis – 3 shares
Henry W. Benton – Minneapolis – 5 shares
Royal C. Moore – Wayzata – 10 shares
Thomas C. Burgess – Minneapolis – 5 shares
Together, they launched the bank with $10,000 in capital stock—a modest but meaningful investment in the future of a town transitioning from a summer resort to a year-round residential hub.
That same year, they constructed a neoclassical stone building at the corner of Lake Street and Barry Avenue. Its Greek columns and arched windows reflected a desire to communicate trust, stability, and architectural dignity—values that defined the bank from the beginning.
Frick and Family Banking
Wayzata Reporter ad from 1917. Image courtesy Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
In 1913, Alvin Frick, a 21-year-old farm boy from Parker’s Lake, joined the bank as assistant cashier, janitor, and insurance agent. Promoted to head cashier by 1916, he later married fellow employee Myrtle Hagberg, and together they ran the bank with unmatched dedication. Frick became the bank’s first full-time president in 1933 and served in leadership for more than four decades.
His son, Robert Frick, a WWII veteran and University of Minnesota graduate, followed in his footsteps and became president during the postwar boom years.
Moves and Modernization
Wayzata State Bank circa 1950. Image courtesy Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
In 1950, Wayzata State Bank moved from its original site into a new building a block east on Lake Street, offering one of the region’s first drive-up windows. That site—long home to Minnetonka Travel—has also evolved. In a recent “rightsizing” move, Minnetonka Travel relocated to 319 Barry Avenue, continuing the legacy of thoughtful, adaptable commerce in the historic core of town.
By the early 1980s, the bank relocated again—this time to a custom-built facility at 900 Wayzata Boulevard East, a large, modern structure at the corner of Wayzata Boulevard and Superior Boulevard. It featured a detached drive-through, surface parking, and the expanded services expected of a growing suburban bank.
Ownership and Transition
In 1972, the Frick family sold controlling interest to advertising executive Ray Mithun, co-founder of Campbell-Mithun. His sons, Ray Jr. and Lew, carried the bank’s leadership into the next era, maintaining its small-town service ethic while positioning it for regional growth.
The name changed over time—from Wayzata Bank & Trust to Northstar Bank of Wayzata, then The Bank Wayzata, and eventually Norwest Bank, which acquired it in 1989. A decade later, Norwest merged with Wells Fargo, and the Wayzata location became a regional branch of the national institution.
Legacy Real Estate: Two Corners, One Story
The original 1908 site at Lake Street and Barry was eventually purchased by the Lowell Zitzloff family, who operated the beloved gift and home shop Five Swans from the historic building for decades. In recent years, the Zitzloffs redeveloped the property, replacing the aging structure with a modern office building that retains a familiar identity. Its new façade echoes the original—with classical columns and proportions that honor the bank’s earliest design and downtown Wayzata’s civic character.
In 2019, a new office building rose at the corner of Lake Street and Barry Avenue, carefully designed with a façade that pays tribute to the original 1908 Wayzata State Bank. The project preserved the architectural spirit of the original neoclassical structure, with modern columns and symmetrical design elements that echo the historic bank’s presence. In recognition of this thoughtful contribution to the city’s architectural continuity, Zitzloff was presented with a Heritage Preservation Award by then-Mayor Ken Willcox, honoring his role in maintaining the character and civic memory of downtown Wayzata.
Meanwhile, the 1980s-era bank building at Wayzata Boulevard and Superior Boulevard is undergoing a complete transformation—again under the direction of the Mithun family, bringing the story full circle. Their redevelopment includes:
A new, right-sized Wells Fargo branch, now open
Office and retail space to serve downtown’s evolving needs
Apartments currently under construction, reinforcing the city’s walkable, mixed-use future
This project reflects a broader shift toward thoughtful density and adaptable community planning—just as the bank once relocated to meet the town’s needs.
Innovation, Legacy, and the Making of a Modern Community Bank
When Ray Mithun Sr. purchased Wayzata State Bank in the early 1970s, he brought capital, a marketing mind, a boardroom sensibility, and a deep belief in community. The bank, originally founded in 1908, had already seen generations of local stewardship through the Frick family. But the Mithun era marked a new chapter—one defined by growth, diversification, and innovation that would set the stage for its eventual acquisition by Norwest.
Ray’s nephew, John Berg, was recruited to help shore up the bank’s loan portfolio and bring institutional discipline. At the time, Berg had a promising future at First Bank in North Dakota, with an offer to become one of their youngest presidents from his father who ran First Bank. But Wayzata—and opportunity—called. “Ray said, ‘Come help us,’ and I did,” Berg recalled. “I didn’t even know where Wayzata was. We ended up getting lost in Long Lake.”
Berg joined in 1976 as a senior lender. Within a few years, he was named president. Under his leadership—and with the Mithuns’ vision—the bank expanded aggressively yet intentionally. They formed a holding company and acquired the Bank of Crystal and the Bank of Excelsior, operating as a group until the sale to Norwest in 1989. “It wasn’t a huge bank,” Berg said. “But we were doing innovative things. We had one of the first trust departments, one of the first mortgage companies within a bank, and one of the first multi-lane drive-up systems in the state.”
The culture at Wayzata State Bank was unmistakably local, yet quietly forward-thinking. “We called it the ‘easy place to bank,’” Ray recalled. “Your dad [speaking to Berg] said it was all about service, about making people feel welcome. And he was right.” A custom sign even marked the old building as Easy Street—a small-town wink to a big-picture philosophy.
Behind the scenes, operations were tightly run by longtime chief operating officer Casey Rosen, who oversaw multiple location transitions, system upgrades, and the logistics of modern banking long before digital transformation became the norm. When the bank moved to its third major site—on Wayzata Boulevard and Superior—in January 1982, the team braved 70-below wind chills to crane safety deposit boxes from the old site onto flatbeds. The propane froze, and a police officer was hired to guard the unmovable boxes all weekend.
“Casey was the heart of the bank,” Mary Mithun said. “He was there every day, making sure everything worked.” Rosin’s daughter, Sarah Ludke, now runs the nursery school at Wayzata Community Church.
Banking as a Platform for Growth
Under the Mithuns, Wayzata State Bank became a platform—not just for deposits and loans, but for new ideas. “We weren’t afraid to try things,” said Berg. “We added products, expanded services, and made real estate moves that positioned us for the future.” The bank’s modern Wayzata Boulevard facility featured six drive-up lanes and space for mortgage, trust, and insurance divisions—services that helped distinguish it from typical small-town operations.
That spirit of innovation also laid the groundwork for the current redevelopment now led by Ray’s son, Matt Mithun. The original 1981-era bank building has been razed to make way for a new mixed-use project that includes a right-sized Wells Fargo branch, office space, and residential units—a future-focused reuse of one of Wayzata’s most prominent corners. “The bank was just too big for what it had become,” Ray noted. “Now it’s going to fit today’s needs while still serving the town.”
A Pillar of Memory: Lowell Zitzloff’s Tribute to a Hometown Landmark
When Wayzata native Lowell Zitzloff set out to redevelop the site where the Five Swans boutique had stood for decades—on the corner of Lake Street and Barry Avenue—he did more than construct a building. He resurrected a piece of local memory. For many years, Five Swans occupied the former Wayzata State Bank building, itself a downtown landmark that had long anchored the community both financially and culturally. By incorporating a faithful replica of the original bank’s neoclassical façade into the new design, Zitzloff honored not only the site’s architectural legacy but also its enduring place in the hearts of longtime residents.
The new development, though modern in function, incorporates a thoughtful replica of the original Wayzata State Bank’s historic façade, complete with classical columns, traditional detailing, and subtle nods to its early 20th-century character.
When asked why he was willing to rebuild the structure with the original Wayzata State Bank façade, Zitzloff reflected, “You walk to school with cardboard in your shoes. Your father’s killed when you’re nine. The city gives you a job when you’re 11—keeping the fire going in the warming house at the beach. I said, ‘It’s nice to be able to give back.’ When you’ve been in Wayzata over 90 years, you want to leave something that matters.”
Zitzloff, who turned 91 in August, described this as the most significant project of his life. “It’s big—it’s really major,” he said. “We even set the building back 10 feet on one side, nine on the other. Lost all three floors [of rentable space] in the process. But when you give, it’s not about what you lose—it’s about what you leave.”
City staff were reportedly wowed. “They said I’d need oxygen at the site,” he joked, referring to the project’s breathtaking design.
Despite a real estate portfolio spanning across the metro, Zitzloff made clear this project was different. “The Lord’s blessed me with a lot,” he said. “But I always say, ‘Don’t let me screw up. Let me do what’s best for you.’ I try to remember where I came from—and who brought me here.”
Still Anchored in Wayzata
Wayzata State Bank may no longer appear on checks or signs, but its imprint is everywhere: in the civic values it embodied, the cornerstones it laid, and the families and businesses it helped build. From $10,000 in 1908 to multimillion-dollar redevelopments today, it was never just a place to manage money. It was where Wayzata banked on itself.
The Wayzata Bank & Trust Co at 900 Wayzata Boulevard. Image courtesy Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
And in a town shaped by the lake, the land, and the people who love both—you can still feel the institution’s quiet confidence in every carefully preserved detail.
With gratitude to the Lake Minnetonka Historical Society, Joanie Holst, Sue Sorrentino, Irene Stemmer, Charlie Schoen, Ellen Wilson Meyer, Ray & Mary Mithun, John Berg, as well as Lowell and Jeff Zitzloff for their invaluable contributions to preserving and sharing the history of Wayzata State Bank.
MOUND — On Tuesday, May 6, the Lake Minnetonka Historical Society will present a special evening program commemorating the devastating tornadoes that struck the Lake Minnetonka area 60 years ago. The event, titled “Remembering the Lake Minnetonka Tornadoes of 1965,” will be held at 7 p.m. in the Lost Lake Room at the Gillespie Center, located at 2590 Commerce Blvd in Mound.
The featured speaker is Paul Huttner, chief meteorologist for MPR News and a former Deephaven resident. Huttner will discuss the meteorological science behind the storms that reshaped the communities surrounding Lake Minnetonka and share how that historic event influenced his path into weather journalism.
On May 6, 1965, two powerful F4 tornadoes tore through the western suburbs of the Twin Cities, with cities such as Deephaven, Greenwood, Shorewood, Spring Park, Mound, Orono, and Minnetonka Beach sustaining catastrophic damage. The storms claimed three lives, leveled hundreds of homes and businesses, and left an indelible mark on the lakeside region.
In addition to Huttner’s presentation, attendees are invited to share their own memories of the 1965 storms. Community members are also welcome to bring photographs or tornado-related artifacts, which may be donated to the Historical Society for preservation.
Light refreshments will be served. Tickets are $10 for LMHS members and $15 for the general public, available online at 1965tornadoes.eventbrite.com.
The Lake Minnetonka Historical Society was formed in 2023 through the merger of four longstanding organizations: the Wayzata Historical Society, Excelsior-Lake Minnetonka Historical Society, the Museum of Lake Minnetonka, and the Westonka Historical Society. The new entity maintains archives in Wayzata and museums in Excelsior, Mound, and Wayzata, and is dedicated to telling the story of the lake and its communities through public programs, publications, and historic preservation efforts.
Image courtesy Lake Minnetonka Historical Society.
The Lake Minnetonka Historical Society invites residents and history enthusiasts to take a journey through time with its upcoming presentation, “Welcome to the 20th Century – Wayzata and the North Shore,” featuring local historian Joanie Holst. The event will take place on Thursday, February 13, at 7:00 p.m. in the Wayzata Community Room at City Hall. Admission is free, though registration is requested at tinyurl.com/ymf4nm7e.
As the 19th century gave way to the 20th, Wayzata evolved from a resort destination into a thriving year-round community. Wealthy Twin Cities corporate executives built grand estates along the lakeshore, while established businesses like Minnetonka Boat Works, the Wayzata Theater, Minnetonka Hospital, Hart’s Cafe, and Meyer Bros. Dairy became household names. The once-bustling summer cottages were joined by permanent residences, signaling a shift in the town’s character and economy.
Holst, an expert in local history, will paint a vivid picture of this transformation, offering insight into the key businesses, landmarks, and figures that shaped Wayzata and the surrounding North Shore during this pivotal era. Attendees will also have the opportunity to view a historical photograph of Lake Street in the 1940s, offering a rare glimpse into the past.
The presentation is part of the Historical Society’s ongoing efforts to preserve and share the rich heritage of Lake Minnetonka. Don’t miss this chance to uncover the fascinating history of Wayzata’s evolution into the town it is today.
You must be logged in to post a comment.